IndexSiden.dk | dyfo.dk | StrikeForce.dk
ModZone.dk
Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search
ModZone.dk : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 ModZone.dk > ModZone.dk Fora > Vejledninger / Guides / Tutorials > Win XP / Xbox: SMB Sharing
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TykSak

Win XP / Xbox: SMB Sharing

SMB Sharing: The easy way!
Which you can you can use if your on a secure network (behind a firewall) and everyone on the network is trusted.

Goto your "MySharedDrives"
Right click it and select "Sharing and Security..."

Wing of "Share this folder on the network"
You can also wing of "Allow network users to change my files" but its not needed if you only need your Xbox/XBMC to access files.
Click OK

To configure XBMC goto:
Configuring XBMC for SMB easy shares!

Visit my 19" rack site

Last edited by TykSak on 13-05-2004 at 19:32

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-05-2004 16:45
TykSak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TykSak Click here to Send TykSak a Private Message Visit TykSak's homepage! Find more posts by TykSak Add TykSak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TykSak

SMB Sharing: The secure way!
AKA the hard way, where we have XBMC logon to the share using a password other users are denied access to your shares.

Right click on "My Computer" and Select "Manage"
or
Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management
or
C:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc

Expand "Local Users and Groups"
Right click on "Users" and choose "New User..."

Define "User name" and "Password" (in this guide the user name is xbox and the password is password)
Untick the "User must change password at next logon" box
Tick off the "Password never expires" box
Click create then close

Right click on the newly created "user" and select "Properties"

View the "Member of" tab

Remove "Users" by selecting the "Users" and clicking "Remove".

You can close "Computer Management" now

We will be adding a "rule" for the Xbox/XBMC user

Open Local Security Policy by either going to:
Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy
or
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy
or
C:\WINDOWS\system32\secpol.msc

Extend "Local Policies" and click "User Rights Assignment"
Double click the "Access this computer from the network" policy

Click the "Add User or Group"

Add the "xbox" user and click OK

You can close "Local Security Policy" now

Time to turn off simple file sharing

Open an "Explorer" window
Open "Tools" and select "Folder Options..."

View the "View" tab

Find the "Use simple file sharing (recommended)" and unwing it (turning it off)
Click OK

Goto your "MySharedDrives"
Right click it and select "Sharing and Security..."

Enable the "Share this folder"
Click "Permissions"

Select "Everyone" and click remove
Click "Add..."

Type "xbox" and click OK

The Xbox "user" should now be added

Click OK

To configure XBMC goto:
Configuring XBMC for SMB secure shares!

Visit my 19" rack site

Last edited by TykSak on 13-05-2004 at 19:35

Old Post 09-05-2004 16:46
TykSak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TykSak Click here to Send TykSak a Private Message Visit TykSak's homepage! Find more posts by TykSak Add TykSak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
caddeic

help

I this the "secure way" makes more sense. I get as far as adding the user, but when I try to click on the tab Member of, windows gives me an error saying "The server service is not started". Do you know how I could turn this service back on. It would be greatly appreciated.

Old Post 13-12-2004 05:11
caddeic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for caddeic Click here to Send caddeic a Private Message Find more posts by caddeic Add caddeic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeyMaster
Co Admin

either open a cmd window and type

net start server

or

go into you controlpanel/administartive tools/ Services and find the "Server" Service there and click start

Old Post 13-12-2004 09:10
KeyMaster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KeyMaster Click here to Send KeyMaster a Private Message Find more posts by KeyMaster Add KeyMaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
caddeic

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunitly, neither worked. When I starting the service from a command prompt i get the following message;

"The service name is invalid".

And when i try looking for the service in the admin tools/services, I cannot find any service thats server related.

I hate to keep bugging you nice folks but I really would like to have my xbox sign into a shared folder on my network. Agian any suggestions would be greatful.

Old Post 14-12-2004 00:16
caddeic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for caddeic Click here to Send caddeic a Private Message Find more posts by caddeic Add caddeic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KeyMaster
Co Admin

ok then

try open your network properties on your ethernet adapter and see if you have windows file and printersharing installed

should look something like this attached image

if you don't have it,, click install and find under the "client" options

KeyMaster has attached this image:

Old Post 14-12-2004 12:31
KeyMaster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KeyMaster Click here to Send KeyMaster a Private Message Find more posts by KeyMaster Add KeyMaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mohsinkhan35

Hello
I am using windows xp home edition and i don't have that option "Local users and groups" in "computer management"

Old Post 15-12-2004 03:17
mohsinkhan35 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mohsinkhan35 Click here to Send mohsinkhan35 a Private Message Find more posts by mohsinkhan35 Add mohsinkhan35 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TykSak

Yeah XP Home ED is missing some of the "Pro" features but you can still use "SMB Sharing: The easy way!"

Visit my 19" rack site

Old Post 15-12-2004 20:03
kdog2

I have followed the instructions posted on here except for the thread titled "Win XP: Mounting your local drives into folders" I could not get this to work properly and I think it is because I upgraded to Windows XP from 98SE and I still have the Fat32 file system. Any way I did the easy share method and I can access folders on my computers hard drive and play the media in them perfectly fine. When I go into the the WORKGROUP [SMB] NETWORK option in XBMC (what I used to access all my shared folders) my CD drives that I have shared show up. The problem is that when I stick a music cd (probably any other one too) into either of the drives and try to access it through the xbox, it shows no files on the disk. The computer doesnt even try to access the drive. Is there anything I can do to get XMBC to access my cd drives? Thanks.

Old Post 24-12-2004 06:37
kdog2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kdog2 Click here to Send kdog2 a Private Message Find more posts by kdog2 Add kdog2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TykSak

Try with another CD then a music CD

Visit my 19" rack site

Last edited by TykSak on 22-06-2005 at 17:26

Old Post 25-12-2004 11:29
XboxPhred

Question XP wants a password!

Thanks for the great article. I followed the instructions for "SMB Sharing: The easy way!", and now I can see the SMB shares on my Windows XP Home computer, but when I try to open any of the sub-folders, XBMC asks for a password. I don't have any passwords assigned on the machine. I tried entering no password and no name, but that didn't work. I tried my name with no password and had no luck that way either. Any suggestions?

Old Post 13-07-2005 16:42
XboxPhred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for XboxPhred Click here to Send XboxPhred a Private Message Find more posts by XboxPhred Add XboxPhred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TykSak

its hard to say but can you access the shares for another PC?
Did you place the share on C: (try a share on D:/ )

Visit my 19" rack site

Old Post 14-07-2005 01:11
XboxPhred

Lightbulb Re: XP wants a password!

quote:
Originally posted by XboxPhred
...when I try to open any of the sub-folders, XBMC asks for a password...

The problem was that the guest account was disabled. You must enable it (at least on XP Home). To do that, since XP Home doesn't have the nifty user management console, go to the control panel/User Accounts and make sure Guest is enabled.

Now I can use the SMB Workgroup share option, but I still can't use the shares I created by following the article above. They still show up, but any subdirectories all demand a password.

Another thing to note. If you use the method listed above for sharing removable drives, you won't be able to safely remove them from the system. Windows will keep them locked. Even a utility like the awesome freeware Unlocker won't release them.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Last edited by XboxPhred on 14-07-2005 at 16:14

Old Post 14-07-2005 16:01
XboxPhred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for XboxPhred Click here to Send XboxPhred a Private Message Find more posts by XboxPhred Add XboxPhred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TykSak

Re: Re: XP wants a password!

quote:
Originally posted by XboxPhred

The problem was that the guest account was disabled. You must enable it (at least on XP Home).

Now I can use the SMB Workgroup share option, but I still can't use the shares I created by following the article above. They still show up, but any subdirectories all demand a password.

So did you get it to work by enabling the guest account?

Visit my 19" rack site

Old Post 14-07-2005 18:13
naatta

Mine SMB sharing is not working.

I get following error into xbmc.log:
31-07-2005 23:17:20 ERROR SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://xbox:password@192.168.0.2/pictures/'
unix_err:'16' nt_err : 'c0000008' error : 'Invalid handle'

I have done all explained in "SMB Sharing: The secure way!" except I don't know how to turn off simple file sharing in windows2000. Could that cause my problem?

Old Post 01-08-2005 07:37
naatta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for naatta Click here to Send naatta a Private Message Find more posts by naatta Add naatta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote